Asbury Park Personal Injury Lawyers
Sustaining an injury can be a frightening and traumatic experience that can be life-changing and leave you with serious health conditions, disability, and unable to work. When you are injured due to another individual’s negligence, you are entitled to compensation for your injuries, loss of income, and pain and suffering. Two of the leading causes of personal injuries are car accidents and slip and fall accidents.
New Jersey is the most congested state in the country. With traffic of this magnitude is common, accidents are inevitable. According to the New Jersey Department of Transportation, there are approximately 275,000 car accidents each year, with roughly 600 crashes resulting in fatalities and thousands left with disabling or permanent injuries. The leading causes of car accidents include:
- Speeding: Nearly one-quarter of all accidents are the result of speeding and those who ignore speed limits put themselves and all other motorists in danger of a serious crash.
- Impaired driving: Drunk or drugged driving is not only against the law, but is also especially dangerous to all others on the road. Alcohol and many drugs slow reaction times, inhibit concentration and thought processing, and impair vision. Additionally, drowsy driving can be just as dangerous. Studies have shown that drivers who have had less than for or five hours of sleep exhibit the same behaviors as those of drunk drivers.
- Distracted driving: Taking your eyes off the road even for a few seconds can have disastrous consequences, especially in congested traffic or high speeds. Do not text or email, play with pets, apply makeup, or any other activity that diverts your eyes and attention away from the road.
- Aggressive driving / road rage: Aggressive driving and road range are not the same, though aggressive driving can spark road rage in another driver. Aggressive drivers speed, follow too closely, dart in and out of lanes, or pass others with little room or on a shoulder.
- Pedestrians, motorcycles, and large trucks: Pedestrians can cause serious accidents when they walk along the road or cross in unmarked areas and can be hard for motorists to see. The same is true of bicycles and motorcycles. Being smaller, it is often difficult for drivers to spot either kind of bike and when riders don’t follow the rules of the road, they are increasing the risk of causing serious accidents.
- Road rage: Road rage tends to occur more often in congested or stopped traffic situations, when a driver is enraged by another driver’s actions or perceived actions, such as cutting them off. Enraged drivers can become violent, chasing other drivers, tailgating, cutting them off, stopping in front of them to force a stop, and verbally or physically abusing them.
At Ellis Law, our team of Asbury Park personal injury attorneys understand how devastating personal injuries from a car accident can be, especially if your accident was due to someone else’s negligence. Our compassionate attorneys will represent you and work diligently to secure you the compensation you deserve so you can focus on what is most important – your recovery.
Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents occur for a myriad of reasons and in a variety of locations, either through an individual’s own recklessness or another’s negligence. The most common causes of slip and fall accidents include:
- Wet and slippery surfaces, such as floors, sidewalks, and parking lots due to weather, spills, or leaks
- Uneven, cracked, chipped, broken, or missing flooring and torn, wrinkled, or bunched carpeting
- Poor, insufficient, or missing lighting
- Broken or missing stairs or handrails
- Obstructed walkways
- Cracked or broken sidewalks or parking lot surfaces, and potholes
- Uncleared snowy or icy sidewalks and parking lots, and black ice
- Poorly or unmarked dangerous areas, such as locations undergoing construction or repair work
Property owners, both commercial and residential, have a legal responsibility to maintain their property for the safety of customers and visitors. If you were injured due to the property owner’s failure to maintain a safety environment, they may be liable for the injuries you sustain.
Proving owner negligence for your slip and fall accident can be difficult to prove, but the Asbury Park personal injury attorneys at Ellis Law guarantee the highest level of care and assurance that our team will do everything we can to seek the compensation for your injuries that you deserve.
What Injuries Are Common in Slip and Fall Accidents?
Slip and fall accidents can result in a wide range of injuries, from mild scrapes and bruises to permanent disability, and even death. Common injuries resulting from slip and fall accidents include:
- Broken, fractured, and cracked arms, legs, ankles, ribs, wrists, feet, hips, pelvis, and the skull
- Burns due to contact with caustic substances or hot surfaces
- Dislocation of wrists, ankles, hips, knees, elbows or shoulders
- Head trauma, including concussion and traumatic brain injury
- Head wounds such as bruises, cuts, punctures, fractured skull or eye sockets, and the nose
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
- Minor cuts and bruises
- Nerve and nervous system damage
- Punctures, lacerations, crushing, pinching, and puncturing wounds, typically of the hands and fingers
- Soft tissue damage
- Spinal cord, neck, and back injuries
All injuries should be evaluated by a medical professional, regardless of how minor or if you have symptoms. Many injuries are not apparent at the time of the accident, and you may not experience symptoms for hours or days after, many of which can have serious consequences if not treated. Medical reports are also a crucial element of any personal injury or workers’ compensation claim, and without one, your claim will likely be denied.
Our Asbury Park Personal Injury Attorneys at Ellis Law Fight for You
If you are injured in a car accident or as the result of a slip and fall accident you may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other miscellaneous expenses related to the injury. Our Asbury Park personal injury lawyers at Ellis Law will fight for you to receive the maximum compensation you deserve. Call us to schedule a free consultation at 732-308-0200 or contact us online and see what our team can do for you! Our personal injury attorneys are also knowledgeable and experienced in many other types of accidents, including construction sites, workplace injuries, defective products, wrongful death and mass torts, and dog bites. Located in Freehold, New Jersey, we serve clients in East Brunswick, Toms River, Middletown, Jersey City, Neptune, Hudson County, Union County, and Ocean County, as well as Brooklyn and New York, New York.