Deadly Hit and Run on Garden State Parkway
Posted on: June 22, 2021
A hit and run accident in Montvale on the Garden State Parkway last week turned deadly. New Jersey State Police today identified the victim as a 77-year old New York man.
The accident happened when a BMW struck the victim’s car on the right side, prompting the victim to lose control of the vehicle and drive it into the trees.
State Police are searching for the driver who fled the scene.
This tragedy brings home the very real possibility in accidents that an at-fault driver could leave the scene. This instinct, an unfortunate part of the human instinct to avoid punishment, only makes things worse.
Fleeing the scene of an accident is not just illegal, it is unethical. In this case, the driver who left the scene was leaving a man who died from the accident.
When involved in an accident, regardless of who’s fault it was, the following steps are critical as time will be an important factor with injuries at the scene:
- Call 9-1-1. This will not just bring police to the scene for an accident investigation and report, but it will bring medical care too.
- Check if all involved are OK.
- Move vehicles involved into a safe area. Usually this means to get cars out of the way of traffic, but in this case, the victim’s car was stuck in the woods.
- Call the auto insurance company to file a claim.
- Call a New Jersey car accident lawyer.
New Jersey Car Accident Lawyers at Ellis Law Represent Victims of Hit and Runs
If you were involved in a car accident or lost a loved one due to the negligence of another party, it is important to have a New Jersey personal injury lawyer at Ellis Law in your corner. Contact us online or call 732-308-0200 for a free consultation today. Located in Freehold, New Jersey, we serve clients throughout East Brunswick, Toms River, Middletown, Jersey City, Neptune, Hudson County, Union County, Essex County, Monmouth County, Marlboro, and Ocean County, as well as Brooklyn and New York City.